MUHSD Transportation Department Bus Rules
5 CCR 14103 Authority of Driver. Pupils transported in a school bus shall be under the authority of, and responsible directly to, the driver of the bus, and the driver shall be held responsible for the orderly conduct of the pupils while they are on the bus or being escorted across a street, highway. Continued disorderly conduct or persistent refusal to submit to the authority of the driver shall be sufficient reason for a pupil to be denied transportation.
The Merced Union High School District (MUHSD) has adopted rules and regulations to assist students and chaperones in understanding their responsibilities while riding the bus and while waiting at the bus stops. The following list of actions constitutes violations of the established rules and regulations.
Bus Stop Procedures during morning pick-up
- Students are expected to be at the bus stop 5 minutes before the bus arrives.
- Students waiting for the School Bus to arrive cannot hold a spot in line for other students, students who cut-in line will be sent to the back of the line by the Bus Driver.
- Students are to be prepared to show their School I.D. as they board the bus.
- Students who do not have their School I.D. will sit in an assigned seat by the Bus Driver.
- Students are to wait at the sidewalk until the bus comes to a complete stop before they approach the door. Once the bus driver closes the doors, students can no longer board the bus. It is unlawful for bus drivers to re-open doors due to the Flashing Red Lights policies and procedures.
Behavior on the Bus
- Students must carry their School I.D. and must demonstrate it when requested by the driver.
- Students shall share seats and remain seated, facing forward while the bus in is motion.
- Students shall not put any part of their body outside the bus after boarding and shall not open Emergency Exits or make unauthorized exits from the bus.
- Students shall not throw any object on, into, or out of the bus.
- No eating, drinking, smoking, chewing, spitting, or lighting matches or lighters.
- No fighting, horseplay, excessive noise, use of profanity, obscene gestures or hand signals permitted.
- No excessively large musical instruments or very large sport bags are allowed in the bus.
- No listening to stereos or portable speakers of any kind or size. Personal multimedia devices may be listened to using headphones/earbuds, but must be removed while entering or exiting the bus.
- Skateboards, rollers skates, or roller-blades will have to be stored in the luggage bays.
- Balloons, Laser pointers, flash photography, or flash pictures with cell phones are not allowed on bus.
Bus Stop Procedures for after school drop-off
- Bus riders must present their School ID’s as they board the bus. Student print-outs will also be accepted.
- Students will only be allowed to leave the bus at their designated bus stop. If students wish to get off at a different existing bus stop, they must present the Bus Driver a note with the following information; Effective Date(s), Student’s full name, the requested established Bus Stop to be used, a Parent or Guardian’s Signature accompanied by a School Official’s Signature. A note with missing signatures may be denied. This note is then given to the Bus Driver as the student boards the bus. Our Bus Driver will keep the note in his/her possession. Once the School Bus leaves the loading zone, special drop off requests will be denied.
- Students who violate these rules may be referred to the School Resource Officer (SRO), Associate Principal, or Transportation Manager for a conference and possible suspension of bus privileges.
- Students will also be required to pay for damages to the bus caused by their own vandalism or misconduct.
- Watching TV Channel KSEE Channel 24, KMPH Channel 26, KSFN Channel 30, and KGPE Channel 47.
- Listening to local radio station KYOS News/Talk - 1480 AM, KLOQ Radio Lobo - 98.7, KBRE The Bear - 92.5, KHPO The Hippo - 106.3, KABX The Oldies - 97.5, KUBB Country - 96.3, Hot 104.7
- Referring to Alerts posted on the District Web Page.
- Transportation Safety & Emergency Document (PDF)
A third hour delay is now in effect. At 7:15 AM spotters indicate that visibility in the areas above still has not cleared so that visibility exceeds 200 feet.
- Personal Vehicle Use Guidelines
- Drivers of Private Vehicles
- Employees/Volunteer Personal Vehicle Use Authorization Form
- Parent/Student Voluntary Transportation Agreement Waiver- district transportation provided to activity
- Parent Permission Waiver for Student Transportation to Activity in a Non-District Vehicle
- Parent/Student Voluntary Transportation Agreement Waiver - no district transportation provided to activity
- Transportation Safety & Emergencies
Transportation Shop Supervisor