Highlights from Board of Education Meetings
January 22, 2020 - Special Meeting
- The Board voted to approve the out-of-state travel for MUHSD Staff and Students.
- The Board went through the Board Governance Protocols and decided to bring the discussion back at a later Board Meeting after reviewing a Code of Conduct document provided by Board Member John Sweigard.
- The Board reviewed the results from the self-evaluation survey, specifically the categories in yellow and red indicating areas work needs to be done.
- Assistant Superintendent of Business Services Dr. Scott Weimer provided the Board the update to the Superintendent Goals.
Next Board Meeting is scheduled for February 12th.
January 8, 2020
Showcase: Sequoia High Principal Amy Pellissier joined students and staff in providing the Board an overview of the school's growing CTE program and ongoing projects.
- Director of Student Services Cristi Johnson gave a presentation on the district's Workability and Transition Programs.
- Assistant Superintendent of Business Services Dr. Scott Weimer provided an in-depth look at the State Dashboard Update
- Dr. Weimer and Director of Facilities Ted Walstrom provided a Bond update, along with a timeline for getting the bond on the November 2020 ballot
- The Board discussed the possibility of revising the Superintendent Goals and Mr. Peterson volunteered to come back to the Special Board Session on January 22nd with some ideas on how to proceed
- The Board voted to approve the Fifth Addendum to the Employment Agreement between the Merced Union High School District and Superintendent Alan Peterson
- The Board voted to accept the Annual Financial Audit Report through June 30, 2019
- The Board decided to move the Governance Protocol discussion to the Special Session on January 22nd.
A Special Board Meeting is scheduled for January 22nd, 2020.
December 18, 2019 - Special Meeting
The Board held it's annual organizational meeting and elected the following Board Officers for 2020.
- Richard Lopez - Board President
- Tiffany Pickle - Board Vice President
- Erin Hamm - Board Clerk
The Board discussed the CSBA Conference and each member provided takeaways from the event.
Next Board Meeting is scheduled for 1/8/2020.
December 11, 2019
Showcase: CAPET students and their instructor Kelly Leonardo provided the Board with an overview of the course.
- Diana Westmoreland from Senator Ana Caballero's office gave a presentation on the Senator's Young Legislator Program
- Measure M Oversight Committee Chairman presented the annual Measure M report
- Assistant Superintendent of Business Services Dr. Scott Weimer provided a report on the latest California Dashboard scores for MUHSD
- Members of Cabinet provided an update on the Board Goals for the Superintendent
- The Board approved a positive certification for the First Interim Budget, adopted the proposed revisions to the General Fund Budget, adopted the proposed revisions to various other funds of the District and accepted the Criteria and Standards Summary Review
- The Board approved the California Environmental Quality Act Notice of Exemption for new solar projects at multiple sites
- The Board awarded to purchase of band uniforms for the Golden Valley High School marching band to Stanbury Uniforms Inc. by us of The Interlocal Purchasing System (TIPS) Cooperative contract #171003
A Special Board Meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 18th at the District Office. This will be the Annual Organization Meeting.
November 13, 2019
Showcase: Biotech students and their instructor, Mrs. Husslestein, provided the Board with a presentation about their chosen pathway. Students shared what they've been working on and how the skills they are learning will help them after high school.
Presentation: El Capitan High graduate Willis Wolf was recognized for being selected American Star Farmer at the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis on November 1st.
- Director of Facilities, Ted Walstrom, provided updates on the Livingston High School Fence Installation Project, Merced High School's Stadium Concessions and Ticket Booth Project as well as future projects.
- Director of Equity and Accountability Debbie Glass presented the district's updated English Learner Master Plan which will serve as a guide for the implementation of effective ELD programs.
- Director of Instruction, Intervention and Innovation Torrin Johnson gave an overview of his new department and shared his plans to support district students and staff.
- Assistant Superintendent of Ed Services, Dr. Costa Aguilar, provided an update on the MTSS training that has taken place so far and what the next steps are.
- The Board adopted the proposed district calendars for the 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23 as well as Resolutions 03-19, 04-19 and 05-19 regarding the Lincoln's Day Holiday.
- The Board adopted Board Resolution 06-19 authorizing the elimination of one (1) Custodian position.
- The Board approved the revisions to Board Policy 0410 regarding Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities.
- The Board approved the revisions to Board Policy 5131.2 regarding Bullying.
- The Board approved the revisions to Board Policy 4020 regarding Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace.
- The Board approved revisions to Board Bylaw 9223 regarding Filling Vacancies.
- The Board approved revisions to Board Bylaw 9320 regarding Meetings and Notices.
- The Board approved the proposed calendar for 2020 Board Meeting dates.
- The Board approved the MUHSD Staff Refresh Project, authorizing the purchase of 800 PC's.
- The Board adopted Resolution 07-19 regarding a Solar Power Purchase Agreement and approved the contract with California Solar 3, LLC for the Solar Power Purchase Agreement.
A Special Board Meeting is being held Monday, November 18th in the District Office board room where the interview process for the vacant Board position will take place as well as the appointment of a new Board Member.
October 16, 2019 - Special Board Meeting
- The Board approved the 2019-20 Comprehensive District Safety Plan
- The Board adopted the 2019 EL Master plan
- The Board approved the out-of-state travel for MUHSD staff and students
The Board continued discussions about the decoration of graduation caps. Following discussions, the Board decided against adding the proposed AR that would allow for some graduation cap decoration and to leave the Board Policy regarding adjustments and adornments to graduation attire as is.
A representative from Isom Advisors provided the Board with the results from surveys conducted in the community regarding the feasibility of placing a general obligation bond on the ballot.
Facilities Director Ted Walstrom provided more information regarding a proposed partnership with Solar Power Company ENGIE. Following discussion, the Board decided to add the matter to the action agenda for the next Regular Board meeting.
Next Regular Board Meeting date: 11/13/19
October 9, 2019
Showcase: Buhach Colony High’s Ag students provided the Board with an update on the school’s FFA program.
Reports and Discussions:
Legal Council Todd Goluba of AALRR provided a summary of the potential legal ramifications for allowing students to decorate their graduation caps. The Board decided to continue discussions at the Special Board Session on 10/16. (Report only)
Facilities Director Todd Walstrom presented a Power Purchase Agreement proposed by Engie Services. A hearing was held for public comment, and Engie employees were on hand to field questions from the Board and the public. Citing the brief timeline and the Board’s lack of expertise on solar power, the Board directed Director Walstrom to seek the opinion of a consultant or a solar power expert and report back. (Report only)
Facilities Director Todd Walstrom provided an update on facility construction, namely the East Campus Gym’s HVAC Replacement, the Livingston High School Restroom Replacement, Livingston High School’s security fence installation, Livingston High School’s bus parking lot, Buhach Colony High School’s modular classroom additions and Merced High School’s concessions building & ticket booth projects. (Report only)
Deputy Superintendent Ralph Calderon presented the proposed district calendars for 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23 which were agreed upon in collaboration with our 10 feeder districts. After discussion, the Board directed Deputy Superintendent Calderon to go back to the feeder districts with a couple suggested changes before bringing them back in November for approval. (Report only)
Director of Equity and Accountability Debbie Glass provided the Board with the Annual LCAP Local Indicator Report. (Report only)
Assistant Superintendent of Business Services Dr. Scott Weimer provided a follow up to his presentation in September regarding the Class of 2018 Graduation Rate. (Report only)
Dr. Weimer provided an overview of the Facility Use process and considerations used when approving facility use by outside organizations. (Report only)
Assistant Superintendent of Education Services Dr. Costa Aguilar provided an overview of the new California Healthy Youth Act as well as the revised required health curriculum for MUHSD Freshman. (Report only)
- The board approved the consent agenda, after removing the 2019 English Learner Master Plan, the Annual Approval of Single Plan for Student Achievement and the Annual Approval of Comprehensive Safety Plans for a closer look at each item at an upcoming meeting.
- The Board approved updates to six Board Policies (1250, 5111, 5111.1, 5125, 5145.6 and 5145.9) that extend protections for immigrant students to be in compliance with state law.
- The Board approved a revision of Board Policy 1312.3 regarding Uniform Complaint Procedure.
- The Board approved the list of 71 teachers being assigned to teach out of their area(s) of certification in accordance with Education Codes 44263, 44258.7 and 44258.3.
Next Board Meeting: October 16th (special board meeting) to be held at the District Office
September 11th, 2019
Students from Atwater High's Leadership Class gave a presentation that displayed all of the great things taking place on campus. Student involvement is at an all-time high at Atwater, and as a result, there are two Leadership Classes (one for Freshman).
Reports & Discussions:
Dr. Scott Weimer gave a report on the Demographic profile of the Class of 2018. The information provided data needed to begin discussions about interventions and evaluations of programs. The Board discussed the findings and asked for more information to be brought forth at the next meeting.
Dr. Weimer then gave an update of the General Bond 2020 timeline. (report only)
Finally, Dr. Weimer reported back to the Board on district transfers. The numbers showed that there isn’t really an issue with any one school site being heavily favored over all of the others for whatever reason, sports or otherwise.
- The Board approved the Consent Agenda which can be found by clicking on the full board agenda below
- The Board approved the two Provisional Internships Permits (PIPs)
- The Board reviewed and approved the Unaudited Actuals for 2018-19
- The Board adopted Resolution #02-19 regarding the sufficiency of instructional materials
August 28th, 2019 - Board Study Session
Reports & Discussions:
Dress Code - Director of Student Services Christi Johnson provided a report on the dress code that began with a graphic that showed the number of dress code violations documented for boys and girls during the 2018-19 school year. The report then featured links to the dress codes for MUHSD as well as other school districts in Fresno, San Francisco, Oregon and Alameda. Discussion was focused on the dress code for the Alameda School District which was recently revised.
Throughout the discussion, Board members solicited input from those in attendance which included several student advocates. It was decided that a committee will be formed and charged with revising the District's dress code, taking in consideration all input given.
Cap Decoration - Assistant Superintendent of Business and Student Service Dr. Scott Weimer gave a presentation on free speech and how it applies to the decoration of graduation caps. The report provided the current board policy, examples of depictions that the District may prevent students from displaying on their caps and the that the site Principal has the final word in such matters.
Board members again consulted amongst themselves as well as people in attendance. It was decided that a committee will be formed to look at the current policy, taking in consideration all input given.
August 14th, 2019
The Board meeting began with Deputy Superintendent Ralph Calderon introducing the new school site staff to the Board.
Reports & Discussions:
Yosemite High Principal Charles Jolly, staff and students talked about the impact the Nurtured Heart Approach (NHA) has had on students and recounted their experience being recognized this summer at the NHA Global Summit in New Jersey.
Cabinet provided an update of the Superintendent's Goals.
Director of Facilities and Planning Ted Walstrom provided an update on the work done over summer.
Assistant Superintendent Dr. Costa Aguilar provided a recap of the summer academic programs.
Assistant Superintendent Dr. Scott Weimer provided an updated timeline to the proposed General Bond.
- The Board approved the Consent Agenda which can be found on the full Board agenda
- The Board approved 6 Provisional Internship Permits (PIPs)
- The Board approved revisions to Board Policy 3540 regarding Transportation, addressing (1) the district's authority to transport students without parent/guardian permission when evacuation of students is necessary for their safety; and (2) the installation of a global positioning system (GPS) on school buses to enhance safety and provide real-time location data.
View Full Board Agenda
Next Board meeting: 8/28/19 at the District Office.